The front of the travel bureau as seen in a prewar photograph. 
1936 – 1939 – we are unaware of any significant changes made to these facilities during this period.
1940 – 1946 - the ship was used as a troop transport during this period. The functions assigned during this period have yet to be researched and identified.1947 – 1967 – the area was restored to its prewar use. The travel bureau was remodeled and enhanced with a more customer friendly interior décor. Etched glasses panel windows replaced the elegant silvered bronze bas-reliefs on the entrance wall.
The front of the Travel Bureau after the post-war remodeling.1968 – present – the forward bulkhead of the room was partially breached and the room was linked to the area forward of it. The decorative map of the world was removed.
1994 – the boundaries of the room were restored, the entrance to the forward room was closed and the decorative map was returned to its original location. The furnishings (postwar) were also reassembled in this room. It briefly once more served as a travel bureau for hotel guests. Since this time the travel bureau business has closed and the room is used for administrative purposes. It is on the path of a guided tour but the room is not normally shown to visitors.
Below - photos of the Travel Bureau today (2005) by Bridget Emery.
Restoration and Reuse Potential
retains much of its postwar décor. The paneling and pamphlet racks need some
restoration as do the fans, furnishings, the floor and ceiling. Its use as a
closed off to visitors and hotel guests administrative space highlights the need
for an administrative center built off the ship to support both the ship and
 This photo is mistakenly identified as the tourist class travel bureau in RMS Queen Mary, the world’s favorite liner by David Ellery.
Return to Index by Deck